Secure Windows for Family Safety
We all want our families to be safe and happy in every season that the year gives us. In the summer we all like to crack the windows open and bring in the fresh outside air. An open window can lead to serious injury if not prevented properly. According to the Nationwide Children’s Hospital, every year 5,100 children under the age of 18 come into hospitals from window related injuries. It is important to talk with your whole family on the correct safety measures to take around windows.
The Do’s to window safety
- Close and lock all windows and doors when they are not needed for ventilation
- Position beds and other furniture away from windows
- Children and pets will easily climb furniture to get to an open window.
- Animals will easily break through a screen if there is something outside they want.
- Consider installing window opening control devices or window guards
- Limits the opening of the sash to less than 4” when the window is first opened
- Can be deactivated to fully open window
- Can be installed into any Renewal by Andersen® operable window
- Make an emergency escape plan and include windows as one of the escape routes
The Don’ts to window safety
- Leave young children and pets unsupervised around open windows
- Depend on insect screens to keep children and pets from falling out of windows
- Paint, nail or seal windows shut
- You must be able to easily open them for escape or rescue in the event of a fire
- Forget about window and door safety when making repairs to your home.
At Packerland Home Improvement, we want all of our customers to feel safe with our products. We offer a free in-home consultation for a representative to discuss with you all of our options and to show you the features to keep your family safe and happy.